If you are a carpenter or a woodworker, you will find a wood jointer essential equipment for most of your requirements. But how would you go with finding the right jointer for your exact needs? We will help you understand what a jointer is and what does a jointer does. We will also check out a few best jointer options in 2020.
What is Jointer?
Well, a jointer is used for flattening the wood. In case you have an uneven timber, you would need to use a tool to flatten it, and that is exactly what a jointer achieves. In fact, you are expected to use a jointer along with a planer for better results.
In fact, in many cases, a jointer and a planer are included in one single device. However, if you are on a budget, it may be a wise decision to opt for a jointer itself, instead of a jointer – planer combination. However, a best jointer planer combo can be an exciting performer for varied operations. A jointer can be an excellent option for improving the appearance and look of your woodwork.
What does a jointer do?
A jointer typically comes with two tables aligned in the same plane. They are called infeed and outfeed tables. A cutter head with knives is attached between the two tables.
The top of these knives creates a cutting circle. The outfeed table does support that part of the lumber that you have already shaved off.
What should you look for in the best Jointer?
The best wood jointer comes with a host of added features and functions. It should be one of the best options to check out the best features offered by the jointer. In fact, before you choose one of the best options among the best wood jointer options, it would be practical enough to ensure that you go through a few factors that would make the best jointer.
Here are a few factors you are expected to have a look at if you really want to get access to the best ever jointer for your requirements.
A wood jointer comes with different types of blades. While one of the types will come with straight blades or straight knives while another type of the jointers offers you access to Helical head blades. The straight knives come at affordable pricing, but the blades need frequent sharpening. The helical blades can be quite quieter in terms of operation. They do need sharpening much frequently. However, they tend to be pricier.
The power would be dependent on the tasks that you would want to use the jointer for. The typical jointers come with 220, 440, or 120 volts power. Choose the option based on the exact function that you would be using it for.
The size of the jointer would be yet another important factor that needs attention. While the 6 inch jointer is one of the most widely found jointers, professionals tend to use an 8-inch jointer. However, the actual option you would want to go with would be dependent upon the exact purpose you would want to put it to use. In fact, 8 inch jointer will be a better option as it will work as a long term investment.
Best benchtop jointer 2020 – A Representative List
Well, having gone through the right factors you are expected to have a look at when searching for a perfect option for a wood jointer, we will now look for a few excellent choices among our top picks for the best jointers you would want to buy in 2020.
The joiner is available for purchase on Amazon at this link.
One of the best benchtop jointer options, the Porter-Cable offering, comes with a variable speed. You have access to a variable speed of 6000 to 11000 rpm. You can choose the right speed based on the hardness of the material and the type of finish you are looking for.
The two knife cutter joint head ensures an easier replacement and a better knife adjustment. The table is quite extra large in size, and this would help you achieve the best possible work support. The tool is one of the exciting choices for every one of your needs in edging, flattening, or face jointing. The built-in cutterhead lock assists in an easier knife replacement.
Some Key Points
- The jointer has a great speed of 12,000 to 22,000 cuts per minute thanks to its 10A/1.4 horsepower motor.
- Also, its extra-large 30-inch table is highly convenient for making your work accessible by surfacing the stock around six inches wide.
- It can straighten any of your boards that are two times longer than the length of the jointer itself, giving you a bit more flexibility.
- Easy blade replacement and adjustment
- Extra-large table for a more convenient workspace
- Cutting speed of 12,000 to 22,000 cuts per minute
- Aluminum material makes tabletop less durable
- Fence requires re-squaring whenever you make an adjustment
- Fence can occasionally drift after securing it
The jointer comes with a powerful 10-amp, 120-volt motor. It comes with a spiral jointer functionality, which would be an added advantage. It is one of the right choices for the Best Jointer Under $1000 available on Amazon.
The build and cutting capability are sturdier enough. In fact, it has been observed to be capable of handling even the toughest of the wood. It comes with the helical blades and can be useful for achieving easier and quicker cuts. There isn’t much debris that would clog your system. Yet another excellent option that makes it one of the preferred choices is it suits both novices and experts alike.
Some Key Points
- Its push pads have sufficient padding for a firm grip and little to no slipping.
- This is an especially handy bonus for those that regularly get sweaty hands while working or don’t like wearing gloves.
- The jointer has a built-in 2 ¼-inch dust port placed on the side for a better finish and reduced tear out.
- Adjusting the jointer is rather straightforward since all the settings have clear markings, making the jointer easy to use.
- The Cutech additionally has a safety key next to the power switch in any case of emergency.
- Spiral cutterhead for optimal performance
- Sersatile and easily adjustable
- Separates quieter than most benchtop jointers
- The fence is a bit flimsy
- Assembly photographs/instructions are hard to understand
- Cutech is not a very well-known brand, so it may put people off
The jointer comes with a cast iron construction, which should make it one of the much preferred options. In fact, you would find it offering you better stability and a highly reduced vibration. The table itself comes with perfect machining ensuring an improved accuracy for your jobs.
The jointer has been able to find a place in most of the jointer reviews because of the excellent features that it packs in. You can be assured of precise and cleaner cuts every time you use it. The simple fence adjustment is one of the best options that should ideally assist you in more ways than one. You would be able to achieve 1/8” depth of cut and achieve 20000 cuts per minute.
Some Key Points
- This table is engineered to give you precise and accurate cuts.
- It’s able to handle virtually every kind of wood, including the densest hardwoods, and you can even easily join multiple wood types and 2×6 boards at the same time.
- The positive table stops are adjustable and range from 45 to 90 degrees along with two large aluminum cutters.
- These are conveniently placed on the cutting end of the table and are able to cut through even the hardest wood.
- Clear and straightforward assembly instructions
- Cutting speed of 20,000 cuts per minute
- Powerful 12A/120V motor
- Cast iron material is difficult to clean
- Fence mechanisms make it hard to adjust the fence to 90 degrees
- Jointer is heavy, so not very portable
The jointer comes with helical blades. This would ensure that you would have access to smoother and quieter performance. The dovetailed ways and an extra-long work table are a few features that would make it one of the preferred options. You can even ensure a superior finish with the jointer.
The 8-inch jointer provides you access to an improved and enhanced performance level. The jointer comes with a three knife cutterhead or a helical cutterhead option. The high mount switch offers you a high degree of operator convenience. The smooth fence tilting is ensured with the hand operated worm gear setting. The magnetic base is yet another plus point that lets you store it on any metallic surface.
Some Key Points
- The infeed of the jointer can be adjusted rather easily, and the fence also has inserts to help prevent scratching and marking up the table as you’re adjusting it.
- The Powermatic has a worm gear system which is a hand-operated system for less hassle when tilting the fence.
- Something unique that the Powermatic has is that it offers you the option of using either 4-side helical cutterheads or 3-side knives depending on how you’d like your results.
- Durable cast-iron build for long-term use
- Able to choose from 3-sided or 4-sided helical knives
- Push blocks are magnetic for easy storage
- Only 240V, slightly weak for its kind
- Price range may be steep for some
- Not meant for beginners
This is yet another 6-inch jointer that provides you access to improved performance as one of the top end wood jointer options. Get assured of a superior finish and a very quieter operation. The heavy duty jointer provides you a very high end performance making your wood cutting extremely easy and accurate. The 6000 rpm cutterhead speed can be one of the best options to make it a highly preferred option.
The helical cutterhead is integrated with separate carbide cutters, and the whole carbide unit is placed in spiral-like rows. Each carbide insert has the floor placed on top of the cutterhead tube to meet wood at a position of about 14 degrees. This gives a more accurate and clean cut without being disrupted by wood fibers. The Powermatic cuts rather quietly so you may be able to use it without hearing protection, although it’s safer to use headphones or earplugs anyway.
The fence is a bit tricky to deal with since it doesn’t remain square to the table the whole time, not to mention that it’s slightly warped. Assembly is pretty simple, but you might need a second hand to set it up and move the bed on top of the stand.
The Powermatic 1791317K is better meant for more experienced woodworkers for it can handle large pieces of lumber for big projects and has a lot more stability than benchtop jointers.
Some Key Points
- The cast-iron table has a total length of 66 inches and a width of 7 ½ inches which makes it one of the longest tables of its class and provides plenty of room for larger projects.
- It’s easy to keep aligned through height adjustments since it’s mounted on dovetailed ways.
- When you want to make adjustments, the outfeed table height can be adjusted with a handwheel below the table while for the infeed table, the handle can be moved up and down for height changes. For finer adjustments, the long handle can be rotated.
- Positive stops at 90 degrees vertical and 45 degrees left and right
- 6-inch adjustable infeed and outfeed tables for more work surface
- Helical cutterhead with 4-sided inserts for smoother and quieter cutting
- Assembly requires a second person
- Fence is slightly warped
- Heavy weight makes it difficult to move around
The jointer comes with an extra-long cast iron table that ensures you enhanced control and accuracy level. The powerful One HP motor can be what would enhance the performance further. The push control options would be one of the thoughtful inclusions making it a preferred option.
The enclosed cabinet on the jointer offers you access to improved performance, making it a sturdy option ever. The easy to use handwheels can bring a more streamlined approach to your working table. The jointer is best suited for both home and shop usage. The auto set quick knife change functionality makes it easier to change the blades. You would be able to replace one single blade or even three blades as per your preferences.
The infeed and outfeed tables have front mounted handwheels so that you can easily adjust their height. For further ease when cutting in a pass, the infeed side has a scale mounted to it. The fence has center-mounted controls to make it easier to quickly adjust the fence from its current position. It’s able to move across the cast-iron tables easily and won’t easily warp like other benchtop fences.
The Jet 708457DXK is equipped with three two-sided knives on the cutter head, and they don’t really need any adjustments out of the box. The quick change system lets you replace the knives easily as it holds the correct knife spacing without you having to spend more time calibrating. The 4″ diameter dust port is placed on the left side of the lower cabinet and is compatible with 4″ diameter collection hoses. The cabinet keeps all of the debris from your project confined inside so it won’t leave too much of a mess.
Some Key Points
- The device is powered by a 1 HP, 1-phase 115/230 V TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor and can handle wood as dense as hard maple or walnut.
- The motor doesn’t even seem to bog down on especially thick wood making for more precise and smooth cuts.
- The jointer has a ½” rabbeting capacity, and both the infeed and outfeed tables are extremely parallel.
- The factory set stops for tilting the fence at 45, and 90 degrees are also accurate.
- Knives don’t need adjustment or fine tuning
- Easy setup, faster with two people
- Motor is quiet
- Placement of off/on a switch can be inconvenient in some cases
- Vibrates heavily if not bolted down properly
- Not easy to move around
This is yet another excellent option that offers you helical insert cutting head. You will find it to be one of the best among the 8-inch jointer options. The two HP performance can be one of the perfect options for a quieter and smoother operation.
The front mounted table adjustment can be one of the perfect options that can help you achieve exciting performance for accurate and easier correction. Extra heavy duty infeed and outfeed tables would ensure that you can have access to a precision matched finishing. The industry leading customer service offered by the professionals can be a perfect option for almost all your requirements.
There are two mounting options for the control box so you can either “knee” the jointer’s paddle switch to turn it off or bolt it near the top of the base so that it’ll be above the infeed table for a more comfortable reach.
For quieter operation and superior finish, the jointer has a helical cutterhead designed with carbide inserts. If you’re working with especially dense and heavy lumber, the powerful 2 HP motor can easily handle even some of the most laborious jointing tasks.
Some Key Points
- The Jet jointer’s small T-style table locking levers aren’t that comfortable to tighten or loosen compared to other knurled styles or slightly longer ratcheting handles.
- This is a rather minor issue if you’re not one to change the table settings very often, but maybe inconvenient for some.
- The JJ-8HH also has shorter tables than other similar machines, but it’s still able to provide high-quality surfacing and edging work for your large projects.
- Quiet 2 HP motor
- Helical cutterhead makes cutting smoother
- Extra-long infeed and outfeed tables
- Drive belts are a bit tricky to install
- Dust collector still leaves a fair amount of chips on the infeed table
- Table locking levers are stiff when tightening or loosening
The six inch wood jointer, it can be one of the perfect options you would want to go with. The built-in dust collector is an added attraction. You would find the cast iron table and center mounted aluminum fence. The jointer comes with improved functionality and provides you access to high end performance.
The amazing jointer comes with an exciting construction and can handle even the toughest of the jobs you throw at it. The 110 volts performance makes it truly powerful. The 10000 revolutions per minute are yet another perfect option that makes it a preferred choice ever. If you are looking for improved and high quality performance, the Grizzly Industrial G0725 should be a highly preferred performer ever.
A rock-solid cast iron fence adjusts for bevels from zero to 45 degrees inward or outward and features preset fence tops, so you can firmly lock it in place at any angle. The G0725 6 inch jointer can produce finish-ready joints and surfaces and is sure to be the perfect addition for your shop or job site.
- Compact Design
- Cast iron table
- Assembly is a little hard
- It’s hard to get the knife blades in the proper way
The Passing Remarks
Well, those were a few top end options for the best benchtop jointer. We assume the top picks featured in this compilation should ideally meet almost every need you may have. Check them out and bet the best wood jointer for your exact needs.